Departure from local tourist pier of the city of Ushuaia. We’ll navigate southeast onboard the Les Eclaireurs boat, to discover the Beagle Channel, heading for our final destination, the Estancia Harberton (an old farmhouse).
During the trip we’ll stop at the Birds Island to enjoy some birdwatching of a colony of imperial cormorants and other birds such as skuas, southern giant petrels and black-browed albatross; then, at Sea Lions Island we’ll be able to watch South American sea lions and fur seals. Once at the Les Eclaireurs archipelago we’ll enjoy the view of the famous lighthouse of the same name; besides, these islets house colonies of imperial and rock cormorants.
We’ll leave the Lighthouse behind and go on sailing to our destination; during the trip we’ll be able to appreciate the dominant vegetation of the area as well as the village of Port Williams (Chile) on Navarino Island. Once at Estancia Harberton, we’ll get off the boat to get on a semi-rigid boat for a 15-minute trip from the quay to Martillo Island. We’ll walk around the island for one hour, among Magellan and Gentoo penguins, always with a guide leading the way. Back at the Estancia, we’ll have time to enjoy lunch and a visit to the Acatushun Museum of southern sea birds and mammals. After the visit to the Museum, we’ll go back to the city of Ushuaia by our minibuses. We’ll take Provincial Route J and National Route No. 3, with one stop to appreciate the well-known “flag” trees.
Penguin colony boat tour w/walk
- 09:00am Check-in at our office in local port.
- 09:30am Departure onboard “Les Eclaireurs” boat.
- 10:00am Arrival to Birds Island, Sea Lions Island and Les Eclaireurs Lighthouse.
- 11:50am Arrival to Harberton.
- 12:00am 1st group: Crossing to Martillo Island | 2nd group: Lunch at the Estancia (not included).
- 1:00pm 2nd group: Crossing to Martillo Island | 1st group: Lunch at the Estancia (not included).
- 2:45pm Visit to Acatushun Museum.
- 3:30pm Bus back to Ushuaia with stop at panoramic viewpoints.
- 5:00pm Arrival to Ushuaia.
- Navigation along Beagle Channel (Birds Island, Sea Lions Island and Les Eclaireurs Lighthouse)
- Descent and walk around the penguin colony (Yekapasela Island)
- Entry to Estancia Harberton
- Return trip to tourist pier by bus
SERVICES NOT INCLUDED
- Pick up from hotel
- Port tax
- Food and beverages
October to March
Every day at 9 am from the tourist pier.-